Tutorial: Rainbow Spin Swirl Soap Recipe + Video
I've had a ton of requests for more rainbow soaps, so I decided to get started with a simple spin swirl soap! This technique is one of my favorites in a slab because it's super easy and versatile. No matter if you are a beginner or an experienced soapmaker, you should be able to pull off this rainbow spin swirl soap!
Tutorial & Recipe: Rainbow Spin Swirl Cold Process Soap
I also decided to whip up a video, since that's another huge request. I know I haven't been as active on my YouTube channel, but I hope to change that! Let's start with this spin swirl soap recipe:
This rainbow spin swirl soap recipe is sized for Brambleberry’s 18 Bar Slab Mold. (I use their silicone liner with my own mold box.) You can resize it using a lye calculator for whichever mold works for you. As requested, the formula includes percentages for your convenience in doing so!
Spin Swirl Soap Recipe Used
- 20 ounces Coconut Oil (30% of the oils)
- 14 ounces Apricot Kernel Oil (21% of the oils)
- 11 ounces Olive Oil (16% of the oils)
- 10 ounces Shea Butter (15% of the oils)
- 9 ounces Avocado Oil (13% of the oils)
- 3 ounces Castor Oil (5% of the oils)
- 9.15 ounces Sodium Hydroxide (7% superfat)
- 18.3 ounces Distilled Water (33% lye solution)
I bought these soapmaking oils from Soaper’s Choice, but you are welcome to buy them from your favorite supplier!
Don't have one of these oils? Find out how to make an accurate substitution properly, and don't forget to recalculate your recipe with a lye calculator!
Essential Oil Blend Used
- 50 grams Lavender Essential Oil (45% of the blend)
- 30 grams Peppermint Essential Oil (28% of the blend)
- 20 grams Ho Wood Essential Oil (18% of the blend)
- 10 grams Rosemary Essential Oil (9% of the blend)
These essential oils are from Liberty Natural, but you can use any fragrances or essential oils your heart desires.
Cosmetic Micas Used
- 1 teaspoon Voodoo Pink Mica (Mad Oils)
- 1 teaspoon Tangerine Dream Mica (Mad Oils)
- 1 teaspoon Bright Yellow Raincoat Mica (Mad Oils)
- 1 teaspoon Maniacal Pea Mica (Mad Oils)
- 1 teaspoon Key West Blue Mica (Mad Oils)
- 1 teaspoon Grape Nehi Mica (Mad Oils)
PREP WORK: Before diving in, make sure you have all of your ingredients prepped! I measured each cosmetic mica into its own container and predispersed the micas into a tablespoon of oil using my frother.
I also weighed and measured my oils and essential oils in my main soaping bucket, as well as mixing up my lye solution separately. This tutorial requires a lazy susan, I snagged one of these turntables from Amazon as they're meant for televisions and such.
This rainbow spin swirl soap recipe featured in this tutorial is a cold process general purpose soap recipe. It is palm-free and vegan friendly! It uses a 7% superfat and a 33% lye solution. Feel free to adjust as necessary!
Want to snag weekly advice on building a successful soap biz directly in your inbox?
Of course you do! Sign up for our newsletter below for more tips and tricks to make bank in your biz.