Tutorial: Exfoliating Natural Ombré Soap (ISC)
It's time for another Inspiration Soap Challenge tutorial!
Cynthia from Five Golden Apples was one of the lucky receivers of the fifteen ISC kits, and made this gorgeous soap to wrap up her challenge of matching a color palette. In return, Cynthia sent me her challenge request:
4 layer soap. Alternating mp and cp each containing an exfoliant. Also to be in my favorite color yellow. Color to also lessen in shade like ombré!
Well, well, well, I wasn't surprised to see someone mention MP, but I probably should have laid out that I don't keep melt n' pour soap on hand. So, naturally, I had to skip that step. Sorry, Cynthia!
Natural Yellow Ombré Soap Recipe
This formula is sized for the Brambleberry 4" silicone mold, it's a bitty batch as I didn't want to make a ton of a more summer-y soap when fall is heading in!
Soap Recipe Used
- 5 ounces Coconut Oil (MMS)
- 6 ounces Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (MMS)
- 4 ounces Olive Oil (MMS)
- 1 ounce Apricot Kernel Oil (MMS)
- 2.2 ounces Sodium Hydroxide
- 4.5 ounces Distilled Water
Essential Oil Blend Used
- 7 grams Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 5 grams Lemon Essential Oil
- 3 grams of May Chang Essential Oil
- 3 grams of Oakmoss Absolute
- 2 grams of Dark Patchouli Essential Oil
Exfoliants & Colorants Used
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (SMR)
- 1 teaspoon Annatto Seed Powder (MMS)
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Grapeseeds (BB)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Apricot Seed (MMS)
- 1/4 teaspoon Walnut Shell Powder (MMS)
- 1/4 teaspoon Rose Hip Powder (MMS)
- Dried Calendula Petals for the top! (MMS)
PREP WORK: Weigh out your soaping oils. I like to add my essential oil blend to my main soap pot so I can't possibly forget it later! Make up your lye solution, too!
I infused the annatto seed powder in a tablespoon of olive oil a couple days before. Prep four mixing cups, each one containing the different exfoliant and colorants for each layer:
- Bottom Layer: Walnut Shell Powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon annatto infused oil
- 2nd to Bottom Layer: Crushed Grapeseeds, heaping 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon annatto infused oil
- 2nd from Top Layer: Ground Apricot Seeds, a little less than 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon annatto infused oil
- Top Layer: Rose Hip Powder, 1/8 teaspoon annatto infused oil
GET STARTED: Add your lye solution to your soaping oils. Stick blend until barely emulsified. This essential oil blend isn't a slow mover!
Once you have reached an emulsified state, split your batch in quarters. Each quarter to it's own mixing cup, and then stir to incorporate the exfoliants and colorants in each.
Add your lye solution to your soaping oils
Stickblend until barely emulsified
Divide the soap into four portions
LAYER IT UP: Starting with the darkest yellow soap containing walnut shell powder, start pouring! Completely empty each cup as you go, and use a spatula to even out layers and prevent the layer you are pouring from breaking the layer beneath it.
Pour the dark yellow bottom layer
Pour the second yellow layer
Pour the third layer of soap, at this point, it's probably thick enough that you'll need to smooth it out before the last layer.
Top it off with the light yellow layer, and sprinkle calendula petals on top.
FINISH IT UP: Texture the top & sprinkle calendula petals down the middle. Spritz the top with rubbing alcohol and cover with plastic wrap to help keep the ash monsters away.
After 24 hours, remove from the mold, slice it up, and give it a good cure. Enjoy!
Natural Exfoliating Yellow Ombré Soap
This natural ombré soap recipe featured in this tutorial is courtesy of Majestic Mountain Sage. It is palm-free and vegan friendly formula. It uses a 7% superfat and a 33% lye solution strength. Feel free to adjust as necessary!
Super huge thanks to Cynthia for participating in the Inspiration Soap Challenge and for giving me a challenge that was fun and cheery!
This would make a fabulous gardener's soap with a nice unisex twist, thanks to the delicious essential oil blend!
Let me know in the comments if you give this recipe a shot! :)
Looking for a secret code for our 10th Anniversary giveaway?
We've got you, rockstar. Copy this secret code and enter to win: MS41339744
Want to snag weekly advice on building a successful soap biz directly in your inbox?
Of course you do! Sign up for our newsletter below for more tips and tricks to make bank in your biz.