Want to Build Your Own Successful soap Biz?

Color Swap: The Reveal!

Obsidian SoapYou might remember this soap from the Pick a Color swap I participated in these past few weeks, I posted the making of the embeds and scent blend as well as the final process of the soap, including the top decoration.

What you might have noticed is that there is something missing here… And there certainly is! If you take a gander at the photo of the finished bars to the left,  you just might be able to spot it.

Can you see it? No? Awww.

The initial batch of soap was a pink soap scented differently than the final batch of black soap. That bitty batch of pink soap made far more soap than the little cubes of pink sitting on these bars. The rest of the pink soap? It’s in there. 😉

The experiment I’ve been wanting to mess with? A color and/or scent shifting bar of lovely soap. When the soap itself is presented, it’s a simple black bar that smells heavenly of patchouli with a touch of citrus and fruit. Using the bar will wear it down, to expose it’s guts! Okay, not guts. Just another bar… inside a bar.

Embeds in the MoldFiguring out how much soap was needed for each component of the final batch without wasting anything was a great exercise in my math muscle. Plus, deciding how to embed each bar… inside each bar.

Originally, a slab mold sounded a million times easier. But then I thought about not getting to texture the tops, and that it would require two and a half batches in my slab (yes, I only have one!)

So, in the block mold it went. I measured out each bar and marked it on the side of the mold.

First, I poured the bottom layer to a marked thickness, so I could place the embeds. Lining them all up took me a bit, making sure they were inside the proper place. Misplacing an embed would throw off whether the final bar would sneak a peek of it’s innards, so I was really careful here.

Next, I poured the filling layer at extremely thin trace. I had to take it slow to make sure I didn’t end up with any air bubbles or pockets. Funnnnn. (Not.) When that was done, I textured up and decorated the tops of the bars, being so extremely careful not to bump or misplace the embeds.

The Reveal!The final result? Success. A bar of soap that smells of patchouli, colored black, with a bit of a fancy top. But inside? Inside, an explosion of citrus and fruit notes playing with the patchouli with a bright pink bar to lather up with.

Only time will tell if the inside and the outside bars will mix and mingle, or if the scents will truly morph as you wear through the bar. Guess all the swap participants will find that out. 😉

Updates on this soapy series: Part OnePart Two | Part Three

Share this post

Share on pinterest
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on print
Share on email

Remember to keep it clean (oh, so punny). We moderate comments for keyboard warriors and spam, read our comment policy for more information. If you need a little extra TLC, please reach out so we can best serve you!

8 Responses

  1. Wow, what a gorgeous soap! And how clever of you to hide a bar inside of another bar! It looks like a lot of skill and patience went into this batch. Bravo!

  2. I can’t say enough how much I love this. The idea alone is fabulous. I applaud you for a fantastic idea and the simple determination to get it the way it is. Wish I could get my hands on one now ^_^

    1. Hey Mariah! Thanks for the compliments! I do still have a couple lingering bars from that swap. 😉 They are available here: Thanks for stopping by!

      Kenna

  3. I did this once a long time ago with a checker board pattern. I first made one batch in a slab mold with cinnamon EO & colored with cinnamon (the spice) and then I cut it into long strips after removing. I then made my base, uncolored, with orange EO as I wanted the natural color the Orange EO would create. It needed to be at a thick trace and I had to work quickly but I poured my base and laid strips one way then poured more base and laid strips the other way, continuing until I had the mold full. The effect was stunning though allot of work. The EO’s didn’t morph though the orange (as it typically does), did loose it’s strength with time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.