Tired of using everyone else’s soap recipes? Not sure how to customize recipes you find online? Wish you could create completely custom soap formulas that are unique to you?
Formulating Soap Recipes will help you create one-of-a-kind soaps by modifying soap recipes you find online and in books, as well as creating your own in-house recipes. If you are using someone else’s recipe, this workshop will empower you to create completely custom formulas that are unique to you!
This Suds & Success Workshop is perfect for any soapmaker who wants to learn how to modify recipes they find online and create their own soap recipes for completely custom creations. Basic soapmaking chemistry will be reviewed from the beginning, so all experience levels of soapmakers are welcome to attend!
Here’s what you’ll know by the end of the online class about formulating soap recipes:
- How to modify soap recipes to your needs, with a full understanding of soapy chemistry in plain English (superfats, water discounts, lye solution strength, curing times, etc.)
- How to choose oils based on fatty acid profiles and unsaponifiable content to use in substitutions or new formulas
- How to create your own soap formulas for any kind of soap you wish to make (facial, body, hair, etc.)
- How to combine different types of lye to expand your soapy possibilities
- How to efficiently use SoapCalc and Soapmaker 3 to the fullest extent possible for easy formulating
- How to troubleshoot problems when they crop up so you never waste another batch or lose your expensive ingredients to gremlins
Please be aware that this is a recording from a previous live workshop, totaling to three and a half hours of content, with six downloadable handouts!
The handouts included are:
- Evaluating Bar Soap Qualities Testing Sheet – a testing/rating sheet for determining what you do and don’t like about a soap based on preset qualities that directly correlate to the fatty acids
- Quick Guide to Fatty Acids & Unsaponifiables – a reference guide to fatty acid qualities, typical/starting ranges for a variety of soap types, and starting points for unsaponifiable content research
- Troubleshooting Soap – a huge reference guide for troubleshooting recipes that includes photos of soapy problems, possible causes, and possible fixes
- Soapmaking Suppliers – a spreadsheet of over 300 soapmaking suppliers from around the world to help you source ingredients for your formulas
- Formulating Soap Recipes Resources – a list of recommended articles on Modern Soapmaking, special offers, and recommended books to extend your formulating knowledge
- Formulating Soap Recipes Transcript – the entire transcript of the almost four hour class
Formulating Soap Recipes is a recording of a previous live workshop as part of the Suds & Success Workshop series. You will be able to view the recording, download the extensive handouts, and get started formulating your own soap recipes from scratch. Attendees who did not attend live will not be able to ask questions or seek support from Modern Soapmaking, but there is plenty of Q+A in the recording! All registrants will receive handouts, including resources to use in the future and a full transcript.
You can preview the information included in the workshop here. You will not be able to view the recording without registering for the class, though!
I’m registered for Formulating Soap Recipes, now what?
You can access the class online at anytime with an internet connection and you are welcome to download the transcript to refer back to at any time!