Starting a soap company and want to make sure you are in the right mindset to make money? Not sure how to make the most of your soapmaking for the better of your business?
Soapmaking for Business will help you stop focusing on making soap and start focusing on making money! From changing soapmaking processes of a hobbyist into efficient and well oiled production machines to properly creating and maintaining cohesive product lines, this workshop will help you put down the stickblender and start seeing the numbers behind business.
This Suds & Success Workshop is perfect for any soapmaker who is interested in starting a business or has recently started a business, but wants to focus on creating a viable income stream based on their passion. This workshop focuses entirely on changing the mindset of the soapmaker into a business minded creator who needs to start focusing on making money, not making soap.
Here’s what you’ll know by the end of the three-hour independent study class:
- How to create and maintain cohesive product lines that speak to your target market, keep costs down, and keep production efficient and running smoothly
- How to evaluate your current products and trim the fat so you aren’t wasting your precious time on products that aren’t worth cost to make them
- How to reign in your creativity and accomplish smart research & development processes that will keep your churning out “new” products and expansions to your line without guessing, winging it, or throwing caution to the wind
- How to keep track of your finished product and raw material inventory and properly start gauging when you need to order and how much to order so you aren’t wasting cash on stocking your shelves
- How to plan your production schedule, set sales and production goals that work in tandem, and always be prepared for the next sale or pitch
- How to efficiently scale your production to big batch soapmaking to take advantage of economies of scale, and master the spending of your most valuable asset (your time!)
- More tips to help you start thinking like a business owner without neglecting your creative passion
We will not be talking about:
- Masterbatching: I’ve covered masterbatching in extreme detail in my ebook, Efficiency in Scaling: Introduction to Masterbatching, and will not be discussing this production practice in class. I highly recommend that soapmakers who are getting into business do take the time to read this ebook. The material within the ebook should be viewed a prerequisite learning for this workshop.
- Pricing: Everything I could tell you about pricing is covered in my workbook, Pricing for Profit: Pricing Handmade Soap & Cosmetics. I will not be covering pricing in depth in this workshop. Again, I highly recommend that soapmakers in business take their time to complete this workbook. The material in this workbook should be viewed as companion information to what will be discussed in this workshop.
Please be aware that this is a recording from a previous live workshop, totaling to three hours of content, with five downloadable handouts!
The handouts included are:
- Determining Your MVI – a worksheet to help you understand the financial needs of your business to work with your lifestyle and goals monetarily and set goals according those needs
- Monthly Forecasting – a worksheet to help you predict and forecast your monthly sales goals and revenue
- Product Evaluation – a method to look at existing products in your line up and trim the fat
- Smart Research & Development Quick Guide – a step by step guide to creating new products, product lines, or refining the ones you already have
- Soapmaking for Business Transcript – the entire transcript of the three hour class
Soapmaking for Business is a recording of a previous live workshop as part of the Suds & Success Workshop series. You will be able to view the recording, download the extensive handouts, and get started shooting stellar product photos. Attendees who did not attend live will not be able to ask questions or seek support from Modern Soapmaking, but there is plenty of Q+A in the recording! All registrants will receive handouts, including resources to use in the future and a full transcript.
You can preview the information included in the workshop here. You will not be able to view the recording without registering for the class, though!
I’m registered, now what?
You can access the class online at anytime with an internet connection and you are welcome to download the transcript to refer back to at any time!